My First Week of College.

15:00


Hey everyone.

You may or may not know that my first week of college started this week. College is completely different to High School and so I thought I'd enlighten you all of how it went and what I learnt.

This week consisted of orientation. This was basically a way to inform the 1st years what exactly to expect when school ACTUALLY starts. In short the week is supposed to be a way for the 1st years to get on their feet before the rest of the college come in.

The first day I want to call the "Make Friends Day." On this day, you basically make a whole bunch of friends. Even if you're the shyest person in the world, people are going to come up to you and introduce themselves. It was on this day that I made friends with the amazing people that I call my group of friends. They're all unique and although we are all following different paths, we are all able to stick together and we really had a great time together in this week.

Day 2 consisted of subject choice. At my college, we have a presentation from all the different subjects you can major in. For instance - we had the School of Film come and tell us what to expect if we chose it. Then followed all the other 'schools.' It was quite daunting signing the piece of paper which would solidify our future but exciting all the more.

Day 3 was probably the most boring of the 5. We went the usual drug, sex and alcohol talk and the guidelines of the school. Even though we had already heard/ read about most of it, it was still drilled into us. It was very important but all the information just caused the day to drag.

Day 4 and 5 were "Team Building" days. Here we got into teams and did numerous activities to help us get to know each other and the school. For example, we had our own version of The Amazing Race so we knew where everything in the college was. It was great fun and I was able to meet a lot of people that I still had not met.

Overall my first week pretty much consisted of making friends, long lunch breaks, uncomfortable chairs, numerous lectures, the wolf pack, running around the school, trying to get the wifi code and meeting more people than I could imagine. Although some parts may have been rather slow and boring, I wouldn't have missed it for anything because if I did I would probably not have met my friends that I have now :)

Moving onto the things I learnt this week:
1. The question "Where are you from?" is going to be asked MANY times.
2. Make sure you pronounce your name clearly when asked or risk being called the mistaken name for ages because of fear of correcting the person.
3. The aircon is extremely cold - bring a jacket no matter how hot it is outside.
4. It's okay if you forget someones name occasionally, no one will get offended - you're all in the same boat.
5. You're probably not going to remember anything from the week besides meeting your friends.
6. People are really free and easy going.
7. You have longer lunch breaks.
8. During your breaks, find someone who can drive and go for a coffee - it's definitely worth it :)
9. Forget the schedule - you probably won't finish at that time.
10. Relax. There's no stress like in high school. (yet) It's your first week after all. If you slip up once or twice, don't worry too much.

I hope that I gave you all some insight to my first week and maybe calmed a few of you who are about to go into a new college/ university. :) Let me know what stage you've reached, be it primary school, high school or college - heck even if you have or are looking for a job! :)

Love you always








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Translate