Wonder - R.J. Palacio Book Review (no spoilers)

15:48




Wonder by R.J Palacio is basically about a boy named August 'Auggie' Pullman. When he was born, something was wrong with his face. It's difficult to explain but basically the cells in his face were a lot different to any other child. His face appeared very disorientated and strange thus he was homeschooled. The book begins when he first goes to school.

Throughout the novel, I felt a strong connection to Auggie as I wasn't accepted by my peers because I was "weird." I was often rejected and shunned for acting so differently. However I did eventually make a few friends. Although there weren't many of us, we were close. Some I'm still best friends with today. (You know who you are.)  In Wonder, Auggie is treated horribly because of his appearance. No one can cope with how he looks and so they just mock him for it. That is until he meets a girl.

The girl becomes Auggie's friend and she doesn't care what everyone else thinks. I can really relate to this because the girl who hung out with me didn't care and still doesn't care what anyone thinks. This really is an inspiration because when people were looking at me funny, I learnt to just shrug it off and carry on having fun.

Of course, every story needs it's villain who are many throughout the book but the main one is Julian. He is a judgemental kid just like everyone else and this is easy to see right from the beginning of the story. To me, the Julian in my life was the kids at my school who made comments about me and made me feel bad about myself.

The book tackled themes of isolation and rejection as well as bullying which I think everyone goes through at some stage in their life, wether it's a job you lose, a loss of someone or something or like in my case with people at school. The book had many good things to live by which help during these types.

R.J. Palacio has a beautiful way of writing that I just couldn't put the book down. After reading it, I just wanted to read more of R.J. Palacio's work. I am really excited to read more because she has a way with words which just makes you laugh and cry as well as feel like you're so angry you could punch something. It was such a wonderful read. (see what I did there, no, okay.)

To anyone looking to read a book that is both pleasure filled and helpful, then I highly recommend reading it because I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely rate this book a 4/5, only because there were a few things I felt didn't need to be in the story but all round an incredible book.

Let me know in the comments if you have read this book and if so whether you enjoyed it or not. Also if you like my book reviews then you can follow my blog for more. :)

Love you all

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Translate