Things I learnt in the real world

15:00


High school is completely different than the real world. I recently graduated from my high school.
There is a lot one can learn once setting foot in the real world. Below is a list of 10 things I have learnt.

1. People can be unreliable.
Unlike school, people are not forced to co-operate. However you learn to deal with it and learn new skills along the way.

2. You're not really alone.
One of the things I expected was that I was going into the world on my own. You're not. You can easily ask someone for help and most of the time, they'll be happy to help.

3. Confidence is learnt quickly.
During the whole of my school career, I was generally a very shy person. I was worried about being very shy once I leave school but you actually end up gaining confidence very quickly and I have learnt how to be more confident.

4. Organisation is extremely important.
You don't have your parents or teachers running after you, reminding you of every appointment and meeting you have. You have to be very organised or face the embarrassment of being late or having to apologise for missing the meeting all together.

5. Driving a car isn't as hard as it seems.
I was very nervous about learning to drive and yet I am able to drive a car and not stress out about it. In fact, by the time you're reading this, I would be taking my driving test *gasp*

6. Reading books is underrated at school.
At school I was taught that reading is important and helps teach you things. I would always groan when I had to read a couple pages for homework. In my final years, I began actually enjoying books. Since leaving school, I've appreciated books way more. I don't know if it's just me or the fact that I can't walk a few steps to the school library and take out a book but it has just been something very special. Especially since I no longer have as much time to read as I used to.

7. Most adults love acting like children.
One thing I've noticed is that most of my friends will jump at the chance to do something unpredictable and childish. The other night, karaoke was a serious plan of activity for the night. I really love this. I love that some people are still in touch with their childhood. I don't want to leave my childhood behind.

8. Money is not important.
I found myself a couple times stressing over money. I was worried about not having enough and stressing over saving money for when I actually move out. I had to stop and remind myself that money is not all the important. Sure we need money to pay for food and clothes but the fact of the matter is - money shouldn't control you. So what if you can't afford a Mac lipstick? So what if you can't afford a gourmet meal? If you stick to a budget, you should be fine even if you aren't buying things 'fit for a king'

9. You still have a lot to learn.
I thought that once I left school, I'd know everything. Boy, was I wrong. Everyday I am learning things. It pay be more like taking the right route to get to college on time rather that the theorem of Pythagoras (which you don't actually use in reality...) however you are still learning things and with this comes many mistakes. Just like in high school when you fail a test. In the real world, you make other mistakes but in both cases, you learn something.

10. As an adult you can still dream.
I figured that once you get to adulthood - you can't have any dreams. I thought I had to have my whole life planned out. This is far from true. No matter your age, you can still have a dream. As well as no matter your age, you can accomplish your dream. Go out and live your dream.

I hope this was both inspiring and informative to those who are scared about entering the real world. I wish you all the best :) Also to those you who have already left school and are living in the so called 'real world' please feel free to leave a comment about what you have learnt since entering the real world :)

Love always

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Translate